Industry and Commercial Users
WHAT IS THE AUSTRALIAN SYNCHROTRON?
The Australian Synchrotron is a source of powerful x-rays and infrared radiation that can be used for a wide range of scientific and technical purposes. Synchrotron x-rays are millions of times brighter than those produced by conventional x-ray machines in laboratories and hospitals.
The synchrotron’s customised experimental facilities in the Melbourne suburb of Clayton provide an impressive array of non-destructive, high-resolution, rapid, in-situ, real-time imaging and analysis techniques. These generate elemental, structural and chemical information from diverse sample types ranging from living cells to advanced materials, industrial components and mineral processes.
The unique properties of synchrotron light mean that experimental results are far superior in accuracy, clarity, specificity and timeliness to those obtained using conventional laboratory equipment.
WHAT WE OFFER
· Access to an extensive range of facilities and techniques, many of which are not available elsewhere in Australia
· Full assistance with experiment design
· Expert execution of experiments,data analysis and reporting
· Ability to use some of our facilities via remote access
· Confidential results, with intellectual property owned by the client
INDUSTRY SECTORS USING SYNCHROTRONS
Synchrotron techniques are useful in many different industry sectors, including but not limited to the following.
· Advanced materials: ceramics, polymers, biomaterials, semiconductors, magnetic, superconducting and battery materials, opto-electronics
· Agriculture: plant cells, plant tissues, plant cell and root uptakes, soil analysis
· Biomedical: new diagnostic, imaging and therapeutic techniques
· Defence industries: new materials, sensors, heavy metal analysis
· Environmental technologies and services: analysis of soils, fresh and salt water, air and atmospheric samples, pollutants, toxins and contaminants, environmental remediation
· Food technology: analysis of food ingredients and packaging materials, product and process development
· Forensics: broad range of analytical capabilities, development of new techniques
· Manufacturing: metal alloys, catalysts, engineered components, stress analysis, fibres and textiles, adhesives, polymers and plastics, surfaces, interfaces and coatings
· Medical: new diagnostic, imaging and therapeutic techniques, high-throughput structural biology
· Minerals: mineral exploration, mineral processing
· Nanotechnology and microtechnology: advanced nano- and micro-device manufacturing, micro-circuits, sensors
· Oil and gas: exploration, pipeline reactions, fuel processing, fuel cells
· Pharmaceuticals: analysis of proteins, nucleic acids and viruses, cell imaging, quality control monitoring, bio-mimetic materials (artificial skin or organs), identification of drug targets, assessment of drug candidates
· Scientific instruments: detector technologies, measurement techniques, medical implants, delivery systems
Fee-paying clients can access the Australian Synchrotron’s facilities and services on a confidential basis. Competitive commercial rates are available on application and can be negotiated by the hour (minimum 4 hour allocation).
Click to download the following industry sector brochures.
To find out more about our capabilities or to discuss your specific requirements, please contact:
Ms Kerry Hayes
Group Leader, Industry Engagement
Phone: +61 3 8540 4232
800 Blackburn Rd, Clayton VIC 0316